Howto create hidden journal on / fs

Hi, I installed RH 7.1/e2fsprogs 1.22 and util-linux 2.11f on a box
with a 3ware 6200 and 2 20GB IDE drives and then installed 2.4.7 and
ext3 0.9.5

I unmounted all the filesystems except / and did a tune2fs -i 0 -c 0
-j <device> on all the remaining filesystems

This created a journal with a hidden file.

>From what I recollect, doing a tune2fs on a mounted fs creates
.journal file. I couldn't figure out how to unmount / and then create
a hidden journal (how does one reach tune2fs then ). Is it possible

Does it make any difference whether one has a .journal or not ?

Also, what journalling mode is appropiate for a database server such
as mysql/postgres ?

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg outblaze com