RE: EXT3 Worries

Quoting "IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R"
<stuart bh90210 net>:

> Recently I converted a ReiserFS partition back to
ext2 so it could be
> resized. I then needed to convert it back to
ReiserFS. Don't ask why, but
> it had to be done that way. Running ext3 will avoid
this situation,
> however, it seems that 3.1GB of files on a ReiserFS
partition, took up
> 3.6GB on an ext2 partition. Why? Does ext3 suffer
from this deficiency? Can
> it be corrected? Obviously my files didn't change
size when they were
> moved! What's up with that?

Well as far as ext{2|3} goes, they use inodes as part
of the filesystem. Each file gets at least one inode.
When you format a partition with ext2/3 you can choose
the block size (typically 1, 2, or 4k blocks) and there
is one inode per block. If for example, you used 4k
blocks but stored mostly 1k files, you'd be wasting 3k
of space for each file... in fact, anytime a file
doesn't fill space to the end of a block, you are
throwing the rest (up to the end of the block) away.

I don't know much about ReiserFS, except that is stores
the actual files (not just the allocation table) in a
balanced tree structure. Having been through all the
data structure classes of a Computer Science degree, I
know that balanced trees are very effiecient, so I
assume that very little space is wasted in ReiserFS.

You'll actually find that your files take up different
ammounts of space in ALL different filesystems (the
possible exception being ext2 and ext3 since they are
virtually the same - except the .journal file).

Hopefully that wasn't all BS. Someone please correct me
if I'm wrong (I'm sure you will, too :), but I hope
that helps answer your question.

-- Mark
University - a box of academia nuts.