About Names

Hello all,

I've been using ext3 since it was released for 2.2 kernel, and I've
always wondered about the name.

Calling it 'ext3' implies that it's a brand-new filesystem, not just a
journalling add-on for ext2.  I guess I understand that you want to be
able to use ext3 and ext2 in the same kernel, but why not make it a
mount option, since the journal code is separate in the kernel anyway?

Maybe it's not important, but it seems like a bad idea to imply that
ext3 is different from ext2 like ext2 is different from extfs.

--
     -Matt Stegman