RE: EXT3 Worries

Quoting "IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R"
<stuart bh90210 net>:

> Mark:
>
> 	Effectively what you are saying is that for my
fileset, ReiserFS's
> algorithm is more efficient for storing those files?
>
> If balanced tree data structures are so efficient why
have they not been
> used in ext3 then? In order to be compatible with
ext2?

ReiserFS is likely more space efficient than ext2 for
anyone's fileset - perhaps not by as much, but that's
not the point.

I would wager that that's exactly the reason why a
balanced tree isn't used in ext3. That would make it
completely incompatible with ext2 and the effortless
upgrade path that we now enjoy would dissappear.

-- Mark
University - a box of academia nuts.