Re: EXT3 Worries

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:50:42PM -0700, IT3 Stuart B. Tener, USNR-R wrote:

> 	Effectively what you are saying is that for my fileset, ReiserFS's algorithm is more efficient for storing those files?

Yes.  Reiserfs has tail-merging, which merges the wasted space at the
end of different files into a single disk block.

> If balanced tree data structures are so efficient why have they not been used in ext3 then? In order to be compatible with ext2?

It has nothing to do with balanced trees.  There is an implementation
of tail-merging for ext2, and I hope that that will be integrated into
ext3 at some point.  But yes, the main reason it has not been done so
far is for compatibility.