RE: EXT3 Worries / Its the army brats that worry me!?!

Ted:

	I was not trying to say that I don't appreciate the lengths that are being gone to in making sure a ready and powerfully stable product will be deployed when ext3 is released, merely was trying ascertain where it was in terms of how often it failed, or how many "know bugs" or issues there were with it. I have now heard several times that no one has recently had any problems with it, and will look forward to implementing it as soon as it is released into the kernel by the development team and as well Linus.

	My other concern, is of course the space issue with what can be tuned within ext2/ext3 to allow it to store files a bit more efficiently in terms of space. One thing I noticed when making a conversion from ext2 to ReiserFS (for the moment) was that ext2 used about 6.6GB and ReiserFS about 6.2GB for the same set of data. It not a major difference, but is noticeable.

	Now I will most likely be willing to trade off the space differential in exchange for a filesystem which can easily be resized by Partition Magic (ReiserFS cannot be), but would like to try to use space as efficiently as possible as I am a laptop user. In addition, laptops can be more limited in space than normal systems.

Very Respectfully,

Stuart Blake Tener, IT3, USNR-R, N3GWG
Beverly Hills, California
VTU 1904G (Volunteer Training Unit)
stuart bh90210 net
west coast: (310)-358-0202 P.O. Box 16043, Beverly Hills, CA 90209-2043
east coast: (215)-338-6005 P.O. Box 45859, Philadelphia, PA 19149-5859

Telecopier: (419)-715-6073 fax to email gateway via www.efax.com (it's free!)

JOIN THE US NAVY RESERVE, SERVE YOUR COUNTRY, AND BENEFIT FROM IT ALL.

Monday, August 06, 2001 1:46 PM