Re: Bug: 2.2.20pre/ext3 0.0.7a crash apparently in sys_close()

On 08 Aug 2001 16:19:11 +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:43:54AM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > A kernel which has 0.0.7a ext3 dies in this situation.
> > A kernel which has 0.0.6b ext3 works without fault.
>
> Is 7a the _only_ difference between a working and a non-working
> kernel?

I have not explicitly built and tested exactly the same kernel other
than the 6b/7a change.   However its *really* really close to that in
the test cases (the kernels were built a few days apart and there was a
2.2.20 pre update in between...).  There have been a set of kernels I
built whilst tracking this down and the correlation between death and
0.0.7a is very persuasive :-)

> Other than that, I'd probably need a bit more info than what's here to
> get much further with this.  One thing that's always worth trying is
> to disable slab poisoning and see if things get better --- that's a
> piece of pure debugging which ext3 enables for its own benefit, but
> which often causes other buggy drivers to fall apart under load.  The
> oops you posted doesn't have any obvious signs of slab debugging
> problems, though.

Would the other 0.0.7 problem seen interact here?
  https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/ext3-users/2001-July/000775.html

[I used 0.0.7a unchanged - no mods other than hacking the Makefile
version numbers so it applied]

	Nigel.