ext3->ext2->ext3 and unclean umount

Suppose I have the latest and greatest e2fsprogs.

>From reading the docs I understand that

1) boot ext3, clean umount
- you can remount ext3 or ext2

2) boot ext3, unclean umount
- you can remount ext3
- you can e2fsck and remount ext2
Does this mean that normal linux init script e2fsck will do it, in case fstab
says ext2? Or you should make sure to run e2fsck by hand with -f?

3) boot ext3, clean umount, boot ext2, unclean umount
- what happens if you try mount with ext3 in fstab? does it automatically
perform a full e2fsck?

Thanks

--
giulioo pobox com