Re: ext3->ext2->ext3 and unclean umount

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 10:17:01AM +0200, Giulio Orsero wrote:

> 1) boot ext3, clean umount
> - you can remount ext3 or ext2

Correct.

> 2) boot ext3, unclean umount
> - you can remount ext3
> - you can e2fsck and remount ext2
> Does this mean that normal linux init script e2fsck will do it, in case fstab
> says ext2? Or you should make sure to run e2fsck by hand with -f?

As long you have a recent version of e2fsprogs (I recommend e2fsprogs
1.23, which was just released, but e2fsprogs 1.22 is also acceptable),
then normal linit init scripts will cause e2fsck to run if the
filesystem type is ext2 or ext3.  (It doesn't matter what the type is
in fstab, only that e2fsck gets run so that the journal can get
replayed.)

> 3) boot ext3, clean umount, boot ext2, unclean umount
> - what happens if you try mount with ext3 in fstab? does it automatically
> perform a full e2fsck?

The same filesystem checker gets run regardless of whether or not ext2
or ext3 is in the fstab.  But if you do want to boot kernels that
don't understand ext3, what you'll need to do is to install the latest
versions of util-linux and e2fsprogs, and then put "auto" in fstab.
The latest versions of mount and fsck will do the right thing when
they see a filesystem type of "auto".  In the case of mount, it will
use ext3 if the kernel can support it, and fall back to ext2 if not.

							- Ted