Question About Relocating Journal on Other Device

Hi. I'm using e2fsprogs 1.23 on a Roswell system with a patched 2.4.7 kernel (using patch ext3-2.4-0.9.5-247) and am trying to create an ext3 filesystem whose journal is located on another device. The incantation I'm trying is:

mke2fs -j -J device=/dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3

I keep getting an error along the lines of "mke2fs: Journal superblock not found". I've tried creating different types of filesystems (ext2, ext3, etc.) on the target device for journaling, but this didn't seem to change anything. Could someone point out the error or my ways? I could certainly try a newer kernel, but the error seems to be coming from mke2fs.

Thanks for a great filesystem - I just can't resist trying all the bells and whistles.

Bill