Re: ext3->ext2->ext3 and unclean umount

Hi,

On Sat, Aug 18, 2001 at 10:17:01AM +0200, Giulio Orsero wrote:
> Suppose I have the latest and greatest e2fsprogs.
>
> >From reading the docs I understand that
>
> 1) boot ext3, clean umount
> - you can remount ext3 or ext2

Yes.

> 2) boot ext3, unclean umount
> - you can remount ext3
> - you can e2fsck and remount ext2

Yes.

> Does this mean that normal linux init script e2fsck will do it, in case fstab
> says ext2? Or you should make sure to run e2fsck by hand with -f?

The normal init scripts will do it, but obviously the root filesystem
has to be mounted before /sbin/fsck can be read, so this only works
for non-root filesystems.

> 3) boot ext3, clean umount, boot ext2, unclean umount
> - what happens if you try mount with ext3 in fstab? does it automatically
> perform a full e2fsck?

The boot will do an automatic fsck, and you can then mount as either
ext2 or ext3.  The same exception applies to the root filesystem as
above.