Re: [tytso@mit.edu: Re: Your ext2 optimisation for readdir+stat]

On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:13:00PM +0800, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> I asked Ted about his patch for ext3 and ext2 and this is his response.
> I am not sure if his post will reach lkml since it's sent to
> vger.rutgers.edu

Oops.  Sorry about that; old habits die hard......  I'll resend it to
vger.kernel.org.  Turns out Stephen pointed out a bug in my patch, in
an error handling case, so I'll end up resubmitting the patch to
linux-kernel anyway.

> IMHO, With the amount of work Andrew has done to make ext3 usable for
> MTA applications, Ted's work would make ext3 even better for MTA apps
> sinc both Postfix/qmail use 'find' in their control-scripts and queue
> statistics program

Yeah, sigh.... as I said, the problem is the read-ahead code for doing
the directory lookup.  It probably is still easier to try to get that
code right and stable before ext3 1.0 than to try to get the page
directory stuff in.

I'm told that Postfix uses a hashed directory scheme, and exim has a
split_spool_directory mode which should help an awful lot, in the
absence of the patch (which only makes a big difference if you have a
large number of files in each directory, and having a hierarchical
spool directory largely avoids this problem).

But if I have time, I'll take a look at it.

							- Ted