how to tell ext2 from ext3 at byte-level?

If I have an image of a filesystem taken with dd, I can look at it with a
hex editor and discover that an ext2/3 superblock is at offset 1024 and I
can figure out a lot of info about it.  I cannot figure out, however, how
the superblock differs from ext2 in ext3.  I can't tell them apart... the
"magic number" is the same as well as the "revision" field.

If I have such an image file and a hex editor, how can I discover whether
I'm looking at an ext2 or an ext3 filesystem?

Thanks!
-Jeff Meininger