Bug: ext3 patch prevents power-down in 2.4.x kernels

I am running debian unstable. I applied the ext3 patch to the 2.4.9 kernel
source, and got ext3 working fine. However, when I shut my system down
(shutdown -h now or shutdown from kdm), it does not turn the power off. The
whole shutdown sequence runs, and finally displays the message "Power Down",
but nothing else happens.
  At this point, the power switch does not turn off the machine, which is
normal behavior for when the system is running. The reset button still works,
and once the system POSTs, I can turn it off with the power switch.
  I have tried this with the following kernels: 2.4.8 and 2.4.9 from debian
unstable, and 2.4.7, 2.4.8, and 2.4.9 from kernel.org. Simply applying the
patch causes this problem. It does not matter whether I actually turn ext3
support on.
  I have an AOpen AX6BC motherboard with a PII-350 processor.
  If there is any other information I can supply, please let me know. I am
not subscribed to the list, so please send replies to me directly.

Thanks,
Nathan