journal file exists but feature missing

Hi,

I tried to convert my root partition from an ext2 to ext3 fs using tune2fs.
I'm running a 2.4.10 kernel with ext3 support, but the partition is not
mounted ext3. In fact the journal feature is missing from the superblock:

# cat /proc/filesystems | grep ext
        ext3
        ext2
# tune2fs -l /dev/hda6 | grep features
Filesystem features:      filetype sparse_super
# ls -l /.journal
-rw-------    1 root     root     33554432 Oct 21 20:19 /.journal

So when I try to add the journalling feature to the superblock, it refuses:
# tune2fs -j /dev/hda6
tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
Creating journal inode:
tune2fs: Permission denied
        while trying to create journal file
# tune2fs -O has_journal /dev/hda6
tune2fs 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
Creating journal inode:
tune2fs: Permission denied
        while trying to create journal file

But I can't seem to delete the .journal file so I can reinstall it:
# rm /.journal
rm: remove write-protected file `/.journal'? y
rm: cannot unlink `/.journal': Operation not permitted

What can I do?

Thanks,
Daniel.