Re:Re: fsck error

I am working on a Red Hat 7.2 system which has been upgraded to the
2.4.9-13 kernel RPMs. The my machines has RPM e2fsprogs-1.23-2 installed
but the upgrade from ext2 to ext3 was done manually rather than accepting
the offer in the 7.0 to 7.2 upgrade. I did this by running tunefs2 -j on two
partitions.

I have had some problems following the instructions in the ext3-usage.html <http://www.uow.edu.au/%7Eandrewm/linux/ext3/ext3-usage.html>
document cited earlier in the thread. When I put auto in my fstab, mount
reported the root partition being mounted as auto, while another journaled
partition, also marked auto in fstab was reported as ext3. Why the difference?

Worse, during the boot, I got the message,

gnu fsck: Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=/
gnu fsck: Could not determine filesystem type for LABEL=/home

Due in part to the note in the ext3-usage.html document about problems
df has with a root partition mounted as auto, I hard coded the type to ext3
in fstab.  Now I only get one "Could not determime filesystem type message"
and both partitions are reported as ext3 by mount:

/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /home type ext3 (rw)

I am rather concerned about the fsck message. What should I do:

1) ignore it?
2) upgrade to e3fsprogs-1.25 (does that help)?
3) simply switch the remaining auto to ext3?

Thanks

Gisli