Re: Lots of lost+found files ...

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 12:11:06PM -0000, Andy Bianchi wrote:

> I have been using the laptop with no apparent problems for some time
> but last weekend, when I was trying to compile Evolution overnight,
> I hit a compile problem; it complained that a Makefile didn't exist
> in a script directory.
>
> On investigation this directory appeared to be empty but when I tried
> to copy the missing files back in I got lots of I/O errors.

What sort of IO errors?  If you've got genuine disk IO errors then
they will show up in the logs.

> I had a trawl through the ext3-users archive and found some mention
> in a message from Stelian Pop, Subject: Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4-246ac5 problem...
> which seems like the same symptoms.

So far it looks like there is a small but significant number of
laptops which just don't have reliable disk systems.  In particular we
know for sure of errata against certain disks which implies that they
simply don't flush their cache to oxide on powerdown or suspend.  No
amount of journaling will protect you if the disk is discarding data!

What laptop and disk is it you're using?