Re: Lots of lost+found files ...

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:00:54PM -0000, Andy Bianchi wrote:

> As far as I am aware the laptop hasn't been powered down

You mean you have never switched it off?

> I suppose it is possible that it could have been suspended at some point
> over the past month or so.  If this was the case what sort of state could
> the filesystems be in?  Would there be inconsitencies between the journal
> and directory structure?

The journal is only used for recovery immediately after a reboot.  It
is not a long-term persistent structure, so it doesn't really make
sense to ask if the journal is consistent with the rest of the disk.
The main directory structure might be corrupt, for any sort of
reasons: force a full fsck on it to find out.

> I have to admit I don't fully understand what the journal contains and
> the process used for updating the filesystem so I'm a little unsure as
> to how, if at all, ext3 could create the symptoms I'm seeing.

ext3 on its own shouldn't, any more than ext2.  However, if your
hardware is unreliable and is corrupting data at all, both ext2 and
ext3 will react in pretty much exactly the same way.

> > What laptop and disk is it you're using?
>
> It's a Sony VIAO PGC-Z600HEK, with 128Mb memory and 20Gb HDD - 10Gb for
> Win2k and 10Gb for Linux.

What sort of disk?

> I do have an aged desktop machine at home which has vanilla RedHat 7.2
> also with ext3 on a 40Gb HDD, and that has, for the past three days,
> being running lots of kernel compiles (needed to check my RAM was
> okay) and I've not actually seen any problems there, maybe there is
> or has been a glitch with my laptop?

Probably, it seems that 99% of all still-unexplained data corruption
reports we're seeing are on laptops.  It's certain IBM disks which
seem to be the main culprits.