RE: Lots of lost+found files ...

> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:00:54PM -0000, Andy Bianchi wrote:
>
> > As far as I am aware the laptop hasn't been powered down
>
> You mean you have never switched it off?

Oh, drat!  Mental note to self, must finish sentances! ;-)

I'll re-phrase "not powered down ungracefully, i.e I've always done
a proper shutdown"

> > > What laptop and disk is it you're using?
> >
> > It's a Sony VIAO PGC-Z600HEK, with 128Mb memory and 20Gb HDD - 10Gb for
> > Win2k and 10Gb for Linux.
>
> What sort of disk?

Toshiba MK2016GAP (IDE).

> > I do have an aged desktop machine at home which has vanilla RedHat 7.2
> > also with ext3 on a 40Gb HDD, and that has, for the past three days,
> > being running lots of kernel compiles (needed to check my RAM was
> > okay) and I've not actually seen any problems there, maybe there is
> > or has been a glitch with my laptop?
>
> Probably, it seems that 99% of all still-unexplained data corruption
> reports we're seeing are on laptops.  It's certain IBM disks which
> seem to be the main culprits.

Are the data-corruption problems specific to ext3, ext2, Linux?

Would I be right in thinking that if ext3 was hit with a data-corruption
problem beyond it's control, i.e. it thought everything was okay but in
reality something had got written wrong, that it would then be feasible
that I wouldn't notice it for a while since fsck wasn't been run?  Or is
this theory garbage?

I'm just wondering if during my recent travelling around something has
got garbaged somehow and it's taken ages to notice?  I think I'll go
away and read up more on journalling filesystems so I can understand
more of how they work and I may then be able to awnser some of these
questions myself :)

Thanks for you help on this stuff, much appreciated,

Cheers,

Andy