New user's naive question

I have installed Mandrake 8.1 and chose ext3 for my main partitions (other
than root).  However, stupidly, I cannot now remember whether I specified
ext3 for some other partitions that I haven't yet mounted (these are
essentially just spare capacity, though they may have some files on them if
they weren't formatted).

Is there a simple way of telling whether I should mount these as ext3 or ext2?

In other words, is there a command that will tell me everything about the
file system on a given partition?  I looked in the EXT3 File System
mini-HOWTO, but that didn't seem to answer my question.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources:       http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/