Re: New user's naive question

On Sun, 9 Dec 2001 17:12:25 +0000, Richard Kimber said:

> In other words, is there a command that will tell me everything about the
> file system on a given partition?  I looked in the EXT3 File System
> mini-HOWTO, but that didn't seem to answer my question.

You can either use tune2fs (with this command you can change some of the
filesystem parameters such as mount counts, too):
tune2fs -l /dev/<whatever>

or you can use dumpe2fs (which will show you tons of information if you
don't use the -h switch):
dumpe2fs -h /dev/<whatever>

If your partition has ext3 enabled, you should find an entry like this:

Filesystem features:	  has_journal

Ciao
Florian