Re: EXT3-fs error..bad entry in directory

>We have a RH71 machine running 2.4.16 kernel with e2fsprogs 1.25.
>I noticed many of these errors in our logs.
>
>EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,1)): ext3_readdir: bad entry in directory
>#884828: directory entry across blocks - offset=0, inode=404600689,
>rec_len=23080, name_len=59

I've seen this kind of corruption on ext2 as well.

We run a 2.2.19 kernel with 3Ware Escalade RAID cards (running RAID 10),
no ext3 (just plain ext2) and get exactly this kind of corruption.

Our sda file systems get outrageous inode numbers for the errors.  When I
decode the numbers and look at them as ASCII, I often see parts of words.

Something is amiss with the SCSI disk code, I think.  I don't think
it's an ext3 problem.

--
-IAN!  Ian! D. Allen   Ottawa, Ontario, Canada   idallen ncf ca
       Home Page on the Ottawa FreeNet: http://www.ncf.ca/~aa610/