Re: why copying files so slow in ext3

xc wrote:

> hi:
>   thanks for answer.But in fact i set up a ramdisk of 30M with ext2
> filesystem, and also copy the file(20M) in ext3 filesystem to ram disk.it will
> take 5-6 second.while in ext2 filesystem, only 1-2 second is taken.So i want
> to konw the reasons. thanks.

Let's check that I understand this.  Are you saying that

- copying a 20 megabyte file from an ext2 filesystem onto
  a RAM disk takes 1-2 seconds.

- copying a 20 megabyte file from an ext3 filesystem onto a
  RAM disk takes 5-6 seconds?

If this is a correct interpretation, then I'd suggest that
something odd has happened.  The file reading paths for ext3
are practically identical to those for ext2.

The only difference which comes to mind is that ext3 will
start a transaction for the file's atime update.  But that
probably won't cause any IO while the read is in progress,
and it won't cause a noticeable slowdown.