Ext3fs performance/kjournald deadlock issue

Hi,

I've got a Redhat 7.2 system:
Celeron 400
512MB RAM
18GB SCSI HD (/boot (ext2fs), / (ext3fs))
40GB IDE HD (/ (ext3fs))

I run a bunch of services on the box (apache + mod_perl, MYSQL, Samba,
etc) but the system is not under heavy load.

This system has performance issues reading/writing to the ext3fs
filesystems. The performance issues cropped up when I installed Redhat
7.2. Previously the system ran Redhat 6.2 and didn't have the following
issues:

Copying files from the IDE drive to the SCSI drive is very
slow (over 30 minutes transferring 50MB of data).

Additionally, I can't play mp3 files from a samba share on this
machine without winamp pausing every 5-10 seconds. If I copy the mp3 files
to the local hard drive or to a samba share on a Redhat 6.2 system
(running ext2fs), the files will play fine.

I have noticed that cp/smbd seems to deadlock with kjournald. I haven't
modifed any of the ext3fs settings.

Can I improve performance by changing the journal settings? I think the
default is to update the journal every 5 seconds? If I increase that to 60
seconds would that improve performance?

I've updated the system via RHN, but the performance issue are still not
resolved.

Thanks,