Re: Ouch, here's an odd one.

Jay writes:
> Locked my box and powered off/on.
>
> Upon coming back up, journal replays just fine on ext3 filesystem that the
> loop device file resides on.  On a *seperate* ext3 filesystem all replay
> is fine also.  Now on this second ext3 filesystem I have a local CVS
> repository and I keep things like kernel in here for generating and
> tracking all my diffs, etc. :)

> Upon reboot after the lockup though my CVS is a bit 'odd'.  Basically I'm
> getting the following cvs error:
>
> 	cvs [rtag aborted]: EOF in value in RCS file
> 	/opt/cvs/kernel/linux/arch/alpha/boot/main.c,v
>
> Now looking at the file it's complaining about I'd expect it to be main.c,
> but it turns out it's a shortened version of md_k.h that typically lives
> in linux/include/linux/raid/md_k.h.

If you are not running in "data=journal" mode, there is no guarantee that
the data made it to disk, only that the metadata is OK.  This is true for
ext2 as well.  I assume CVS should do a sync() or something to keep the
repository correct.  I guess we need to determine if that is true, otherwise
the bug is in CVS.

Cheers, Andreas