Re: Ouch, here's an odd one.

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 02, 2001 at 08:35:06PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> If you are not running in "data=journal" mode, there is no guarantee that
> the data made it to disk, only that the metadata is OK.  This is true for
> ext2 as well.

No: if you are doing ordered data mode, then all newly allocated
blocks will be synced to disk before the metadata which points to
those new blocks will commit.

Subsequent overwrites won't always be synced, but I think rcs/cvs does
a truncate/rewrite rather than an overwrite-in-place when updating a
file.