Re: Recommended journal size for /boot

Brian Murrell writes:
> I want to convert the last of my filesystems to ext3.  The only one
> left is /boot.  It is not very big however, only about 10MB itself.
>
> Any recommendations on what size journal to put a /boot filesystem of
> only 10-20MB?

If you make the filesystem with 1k blocks, then you can have a journal
of 1MB in size.  Basically, you want as small a journal as possible,
because /boot is read-mostly, so any journal will just be wasted space.
There was some talk about allowing ext3 to have even smaller journals,
but I don't think it is a high priority.

> Oh, BTW: "tunefs -j -J size=..." is awesome.  No more gyrations with dd,
> chattr, lilo -R, etc.  Nice!  One note however: even in Stephen's
> 1.20.WIP.sct-20010216 release, it is an error to use -j without -J ...
> I seem to recall that -j without -J size is supposed to estimate a
> journal size and create it.

Yes, I think I made a patch for that one.  All that is missing is an
"open_flag = EXT2_FLAG_RW;" for the -j option (line 450).  I'm hoping
Ted will release a new WIP so that I can sync up my changes with him -
I sent in a bunch of patches around Christmas (as did Stephen over the
last few weeks), but now I'm not sure which ones he saw/used and which
ones he missed/discarded.

FYI, for the /boot filesystem above "tune2fs -j" would do the correct
thing (assuming it was patched) and make the minimum journal size of
1024 filesystem blocks.

Cheers, Andreas