Re: Announcing ext3-0.0.5e

Hi,

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 03:23:07PM -0500, Frédéric L . W . Meunier wrote:

> > The plan is to go to a kernel-style numbering scheme once we
> > have codefreeze: 0.9 will be the codefreeze for a 1.0 release,
> > but I'll fork a 1.1 branch for developments such as a 2.4 port
> > while 1.0 is kept stable and supported as the baseline 2.2
> > version.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean that ext3 on 2.4 will be
> unstable, or it should be stable enough to use on production
> servers (well, ext2 is at 0.5b...) ?

ext3 on 2.4 will be stable.  The only question is over how long it
takes to get the port stable, and only time will tell that.

I don't anticipate any major problems in the 2.4 port: the initial
work will take the big kernel lock when accessing the journal, so SMP
locking won't be much more complex than on 2.2.

> About dates, we can expect 1.0 in ~6 months ? :)

Much sooner, I hope.

--Stephen