root fs type in fstab

Hello all.

I am currently using ext3 0.0.5d with great success.  I am a bit
conflicted about what to tell the system regarding my root filesystem
however.  I have my root filesystem configured and working as an ext3
filesystem, but it is/was not without some fraught.

Using RedHat 7.0, if you simply create your journal on the root file-
system, figure out it's inode number, issue a

	lilo -R linux rw rootflags=journal=inode_num

and reboot, things go mostly well.  I say mostly because there are
problems.  As the system is coming up for the first time with the
journal enabled, the ritual fsck & mount process in the initscripts
will have a problem with the ext3 mounted root filesystem.  It will
think it's ext2 (because I have not changed that in the /etc/fstab
yet) and complain with:

fsck.ext2(null):
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

: Filesystem has unsupported features(s) while trying to open /dev/hda5

I then give the root password, simply exit out of the "fix your file-
system shell" and an automatic reboot is done.  When it comes back up,
all is fine.

It seems that this problem is only on the first boot after installing
the journal.  Subsequent boots go just fine with the system believing
the root filesystem is ext2 and clean (of course :-).

If I want to alleviate this problem with the first boot, I can change
the root filesystem type in fstab to ext3, install the
e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP.sct-20001207.i386.rpm (so that I have an fsck.ext3)
but then the system complains with:

/: recovering journal
JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 254): journal_recover: JFS: recovery, exit status 0, recovered transactions 1 to 4
JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 256): journal_recover: JFS: Replayed 16 and revoked 0/0 blockes
Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/hda5 exited with singal 11.
fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to re-open /

when booting up.  This is followed by a slew of really ugly stuff,
like programs not being found etc.

So the question is, what to do?  Grin and bear it for now or is
there a solution that makes the first boot more elegant?

Thanx,
b.