Re: root fs type in fstab

Brian, you write:
> Using RedHat 7.0, if you simply create your journal on the root file-
> system, figure out it's inode number, issue a
>
> 	lilo -R linux rw rootflags=journal=inode_num
>
> and reboot, things go mostly well.  I say mostly because there are
> problems.  As the system is coming up for the first time with the
> journal enabled, the ritual fsck & mount process in the initscripts
> will have a problem with the ext3 mounted root filesystem.

If you use e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP-0103 (from sourceforge), I believe that
tune2fs will let you create a journal on root while it is still mounted.
I'm not 100% sure if this is in 0103, or it was added afterwards, as
I have done a lot of changes since then.

> It will think it's ext2 (because I have not changed that in the /etc/fstab
> yet) and complain with:

I'm not sure why you would not change /etc/fstab, given that you want to
add a journal to the root filesystem.

> fsck.ext2(null):
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
>     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
>: Filesystem has unsupported features(s) while trying to open /dev/hda5
>
> It seems that this problem is only on the first boot after installing
> the journal.  Subsequent boots go just fine with the system believing
> the root filesystem is ext2 and clean (of course :-).
>
> If I want to alleviate this problem with the first boot, I can change
> the root filesystem type in fstab to ext3, install the
> e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP.sct-20001207.i386.rpm (so that I have an fsck.ext3)
> but then the system complains with:

As you say, having an fsck.ext3 will help with the above problems, even
if you don't change /etc/fstab to have ext3 for root, since fsck.ext2
can handle journals just fine (it is the same program as fsck.ext3).

> /: recovering journal
> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 254): journal_recover: JFS: recovery, exit status 0, recovered transactions 1 to 4
> JFS DEBUG: (recovery.c, 256): journal_recover: JFS: Replayed 16 and revoked 0/0 blockes
> Warning... fsck.ext3 for device /dev/hda5 exited with singal 11.
> fsck.ext3: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to re-open /

This is rather strange... I have never seen something like that.  It looks
like the journal replay somehow overwrote the superblock?  Seeing signal 11
(SEGV) is a bad sign.  If you can reproduce this, it would be worthwhile to
install a non-stripped e2fsck and run under gdb to see where this is
happening.

> when booting up.  This is followed by a slew of really ugly stuff,
> like programs not being found etc.
>
> So the question is, what to do?  Grin and bear it for now or is
> there a solution that makes the first boot more elegant?

Use the new tune2fs.  Stephen at one point wanted to make a new e2fsprogs
RPM, but we are waiting for Ted to make a new e2fsprogs release with the
latest fixes.  Soon hopefully.

Cheers, Andreas