Re: root fs type in fstab

Brian, you write:
> > If you use e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP-0103 (from sourceforge),
>
> Do you suggest 103 or 117 which is there also.

The 0117 version is definitely the one to use.  Observant people will
see that it has a "journal device" option, but this totally doesn't
work, so don't even try (no kernel support, no e2fsck support).  The
only thing you can do is create a journal device, and run e2fsck which
will complain it is unsupported and remove it.

> > I believe that
> > tune2fs will let you create a journal on root while it is still mounted.
>
> Cool!  I writes the inode of the journal into the superblock as well?

Yes.  For journals created on a mounted filesystem, you will have a
regular file for the journal (with the immutable attribute set).  For
journals created on an unmounted filesystem, you will use a reserved
inode, so no danger of backup/restore or user-deletion problems.

> > This is rather strange... I have never seen something like that.  It looks
> > like the journal replay somehow overwrote the superblock?
>
> Your guess would be even better than mine.  :-)
>
> > If you can reproduce this, it would be worthwhile to
> > install a non-stripped e2fsck and run under gdb to see where this is
> > happening.
>
> OK.  No point in doing this with anything less than 103 or 117 though
> right?  Perhaps it's a bug that has been fixed since?  Or are you
> interested regardless?

It's not a bug I'm aware of.  It may have something to do with interaction
between the kernel creating the journal and e2fsck.  If you are not
using 0.0.5e, there was an issue with how the journal superblock was
created, so it _could_ cause segfaults in e2fsck.  However, it is still
worthwhile to figure out where e2fsck is segfaulting (before you upgrade
ext3 or e2fsck), because a corrupt journal could do the same thing, so
the bug in e2fsck still needs to be tracked down...  There was one place
I fixed an e2fsck segfault bug, which was in the fatal error handler,
but this was only the manifestation of a memory problem somewhere else.

Cheers, Andreas