Re: root fs type in fstab

Stephen, you write:
> One thing is that since 0.0.5d, ext3 has been completely resetting the
> journal if it finds that NEEDS_RECOVERY is not clear.  Is e2fsprogs
> doing the same in fsck?

I was just checking e2fsck, and it appears it doesn't do a journal reset
unless it actually finds a corrupt journal superblock.  It also aborts
recovery (without any chance to correct) if there are journal features
which it doesn't understand.

In light of the previous journal feature issue, and the fact that it may
be possible to have a corrupt feature flags at some point in the future,
we should probably at least give an option to reset the feature flags.
This is not a show-stopper for e2fsprogs-1.20, IMHO, since it is always
possible to simply remove the journal and re-create it if necessary.

The good news is that e2fsck does clear the superblock properly, by
zeroing the whole block first, and then updating the fields afterwards.

Cheers, Andreas