Re: Possible funny with /sbin/fsck

Martin Hamilton writes:
> Howdy - we have a bunch of dual processor Compaqs with 180GB RAID
> partitions for email, running with ext2 for the last year or so.  I
> thought I'd try out ext3 (on our development machine :-) to see
> whether it was a practical proposition for this kind of thing yet.
>
> Appears to be working so far, with a 300MB journal (based on the rule
> of thumb in the ext3 README)

This is probably too large, especially if you are using ordered data
journaling mode, since only metadata will be written into the journal.

> we did notice that whereas our (RedHat) /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit said to do a...
>
>         initlog -c "fsck -C -T -R -A -a $fsckoptions"
>
> to check the non-root filesystems, we actually got a crash from the
> fsck parent process until we changed to serialized fscking, viz.
>
>         initlog -c "fsck -s -C -T -R -A -a $fsckoptions"

Haven't read about this before.  It would be good if you could tell
us your e2fsprogs version.  Also, if at all possible, can you build
your own version of e2fsprogs (preferrably the latest WIP version)
and run the unstripped fsck under gdb to find out where the crash
happens.

> If this isn't a known problem (I've only been skimmed the list
> postings, so apologies if I'm rehashing old stuff here), I can attempt
> to ferret out the cause...

This would be most helpful.

Cheers, Andreas