Re: 0.0.3d-e: JFS: Unrecognised features on journal

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 09:15:15AM -0800, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> I updated my kernel from 0.0.3d to 0.0.3e using the "d-e" patch in the
> 0.0.3e tarball.

I assume you mean 0.0.5d to 0.0.5e.

> When I try to boot the new kernel on a machine with
> an ext3 root filesystem I am getting the message:
>
>     JFS: Unrecognised features on journal
>
> Does this sound feasible or even somewhat expected?  Is there any
> interest in me doing some debugging of this?

The ChangeLog mentions that older versions of the journal
initialisation code could incorrectly initialise some unused fields,
including the features flags.  5e gets the setting and the checking
right.

> Is there any way to deal with this without having to boot the new
> kernel with ext2 and recreating the journal?

Yep --- as long as you know the inode number for the journal, just
boot with the kernel options

	rw rootflags=noload,journal=<inum>

using the 0.0.5e kernel and it will overwrite the old journal with a
new, valid one.  Make sure you have done a clean reboot first, of
course!