Re: weirdness on powerfail

It may have been checked due to "Max mount counts" or "Interval between
checks" bits set in the filesystem itself.  What version of e2fs utils are
you using in this case?

You can do 'dumpe2fs -h <rootfs_device> | less' and note the max mount
count and check interval fields.  No matter what, checks will be performed
via fsck if either of these fields reaches a valid state, ie. it's been
more than a month since last fsck, etc.

These two fields can be altered via the tune2fs command.

Hope that helps clear things up for you. :)