Re: root fs type in fstab

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 02:08:54PM -0700, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Stephen, you write:
> > One thing is that since 0.0.5d, ext3 has been completely resetting the
> > journal if it finds that NEEDS_RECOVERY is not clear.  Is e2fsprogs
> > doing the same in fsck?
>
> I was just checking e2fsck, and it appears it doesn't do a journal reset
> unless it actually finds a corrupt journal superblock.

It should do --- if it's going to make any changes to the fs, we
_have_ to prevent any future accidental replay.  The kernel recovery
code now has the ability to do a single pass over the journal to check
on valid sequence numbers, so we can reset the journal to a value we
know will never cause accidental replay.  It should be easy enough to
do the same in e2fsck, given that recovery.c is designed to be
compiled in both environments.

> It also aborts
> recovery (without any chance to correct) if there are journal features
> which it doesn't understand.

Right, that's probably worth asking the user about.