Re: Is ext3 kernel nfsd friendly?

Stephen writes:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 04:16:37PM +0800, Richard Shih-Ping Chan wrote:
> > the "magic" necessary to play nicely with knfsd. Or does
> > the fact that ext3 depends on the ext2 code mean that
> > it will automagically do the right thing by knfsd?
>
> It should, yes.  Certainly, I don't know of any problems with ext3+NFS
> on 2.2.  If there are any patches needed for it on 2.4, pass them my
> way and I will include them (provided they work both with and without
> a patched knfsd).  Just give me the ext2 patches, and I'll make sure
> they are in the ext3 codebase too.

I've been using knfsd on ext3 (2.2.17 kernel) for quite some time without
problems.  However, this is the older NFS code, and not the major changes
that went into NFS for 2.2.18, so YMMV.

I sent Stephen (also CC ext2-devel lists sourceforge net I think) a patch
for ext3 with all of the ext2 changes in 2.2.17 and 2.2.18, but they are
not yet in the ext3 code.  Some of those changes were related to 2.2.18 NFS.
However, one of the NFS changes was conflicting with the ext3 recovery code
(orphan handling), so it is currently commented out.  I'm not sure how that
affects NFS.

Cheers, Andreas