Re: kernel panic with ext3-0.0.5e.

TC Lewis writes:
> hi.  i'm using 2.2.18 with ext3-0.0.5e on a dual p3-550 with 1.5 gigs of
> ram.  the system is redhat 6.2-based but with lots of modifications and a
> clean kernel build.
> i've been using 2.2.18 and 2.2.17 with ext3 patches on other machines with
> much success and no problems, up until last night, when the machine
> mentioned above kernel panicked on me.
> unfortunately i don't have much of the info.  the console was completely
> locked and all i could do was cycle power, but the oops message on the
> screen was in a jfs_something() call within the kupdate process.

Possibly a JASSERT?  Pretty slim info to go on.  Stephen will be able to
fix it, I imagine, because everyone knows the major Linux hackers have ESP.

Getting the function name and a few of the details would be a good start.
If you can compile the kernel with KDB (patches included with ext3), then
you can do a stack trace (the "bt" command), to help out a bit more.

> i'm just wondering if any errors along these lines have been reported / if
> this is a known issue at all, or if i've stumbled across something unique
> to my setup or a potential unknown bug.

Haven't heard much in this regard.  Have you checked bugzilla?  It may be
because of highmem or something.  Because it is basically your whole
installation on a single filesystem, it is also harder to narrow it down
by the type of I/O that is being done.

Cheers, Andreas