Re: kernel panic with ext3-0.0.5e.

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 07:22:28PM -0500, tc lewis wrote:

> unfortunately i don't have much of the info.  the console was completely
> locked and all i could do was cycle power, but the oops message on the
> screen was in a jfs_something() call within the kupdate process.

There's one possible explanation for this which will be fixed in
ext3-0.0.6.  However, a detailed record of the oops is always valuable
in this sort of situation.

> this machine is often under considerable load and memory use, altho
> probably not too much disk activity.

Memory pressure is exactly the trigger for the race I know of (which
basically involves the journaling code sleeping due to out-of-memory
while trying to journal a previously non-journaled buffer.)