Re: kernel panic with ext3-0.0.5e.

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> TC Lewis writes:
> > hi.  i'm using 2.2.18 with ext3-0.0.5e on a dual p3-550 with 1.5 gigs of
> > ram.  the system is redhat 6.2-based but with lots of modifications and a
> > clean kernel build.
> >
> > i've been using 2.2.18 and 2.2.17 with ext3 patches on other machines with
> > much success and no problems, up until last night, when the machine
> > mentioned above kernel panicked on me.
> >
> > unfortunately i don't have much of the info.  the console was completely
> > locked and all i could do was cycle power, but the oops message on the
> > screen was in a jfs_something() call within the kupdate process.
>
> Possibly a JASSERT?  Pretty slim info to go on.  Stephen will be able to
> fix it, I imagine, because everyone knows the major Linux hackers have ESP.
>
> Getting the function name and a few of the details would be a good start.
> If you can compile the kernel with KDB (patches included with ext3), then
> you can do a stack trace (the "bt" command), to help out a bit more.

yeah.  i patched with the kdb patches that come with Stephen's ext3
patches, if for no other reason than to make things patch cleanly.
unfortunately, as i mentioned, i couldn't do anything on the console
whatsoever.  not even run a ksymoops or a sysrq sequence or anything.
i'll try to remember/write something down next time if it happens again.
was somewhat pressed for time on this occassion, unfortunately.

i believe Stephen just replied to this thread, however, so i will go read
that now.

-tcl.