Re: RPM Unpacking??

fvansteen basix org said:
> I downloaded the Kernel Source 2.2.17 from the ext3 site, however I
> can't seem to figure out how these rpm's work (I don't like RPM's and
> I rather not use em either :-( no offense :-)) and I kinda miss the
> good old simple .tgz files which show me where they extract and I can
> compile myself n stuff.

You might to better to just get the ext3 package from
  http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sct/ext3/

and path your own kernel.

If you want to do this the rpm way... kernel rpms are not the best
place to start - there is deep magic in there :-)

[I'm assume you were downloading the source rpm - kernel-*.src.rpm]

  rpm -iv kernel-<whatever>.src.rpm
installs the build components - basically a rash of things in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES (the first part of this path will be modified
by settings in your rpmrc file), and the spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel<someting>.spec .

  rpm -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel<someting>.spec
will unpack the tar files, apply patches etc leaving a
/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/linux directory

You can read the spec file for a better idea of what its doing, but
really your best bet is to start with a kernel base you trust - say a
2.2.18 with the 2.2.19prepatch applied, and then just apply the patches
from the ext3 package I reffed above.

I'd be very wary of attempting to just load a RH kernel rpm on a Suse
system - it should just work, but you can bet it would find an
interesting way of breaking....

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]