Re: fsck journal replay times (was Re: Is this list active?)

On Wednesday 11 July 2001 17:30, you wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 04:05:45PM -0500, John Hiemenz wrote:
> > I subscribed this morning but have no traffic.  Sometimes no traffic is
> > a good thing.  Since I've gone to ext3 on my 2.4.5 kernel, the only
> > time I ever had problems was when the filesystems were not unmounted
> > cleanly and the journal was lost.  About 60 minutes of searching and
> > reading and I found out how to recreate the journal.
>
> You shouldn't need to do this.  After a crash with ext2, e2fsck will
> repair the fs so that ext3 can mount it again (in journaling mode.)

Quoting from the ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/jfs/README file,
reagding Journaling for ext2fs, release 0.0.7a:

" If you use an older version of e2fsck from e2fsprogs-1.17 or later, then
you can now run e2fsck quite happily on the filesystem, but *only as
long as the filesystem was unmounted cleanly*.  If it wasn't, then
you'll need to get the kernel code to recover the journal from the disk
by mounting the filesystem (even a readonly mount will cause a journal
recovery to happen) and umounting it again (or, for the root filesystem,
remounting it readonly with "mount -o remount,ro /"). "

This is exactly what I needed to do to get my system back.  It had suffered
from a hard power outage.  All my filesystems are ext3, including /.  I
couldn't mount the filesystem normally because ext3 couldn't find the
journal, and I couldn't fsck because the journal was missing.  I mounted them
read only, it created the journal, I unmounted, fsck, and remounted
read/write and went along my way.   I spent way more time researching than
actually correcting my blunder. (UPS cable unplugged)  I am running
Parallelizing fsck version 1.19 (13-Jul-2000) .