Re: fsck journal replay times (was Re: Is this list active?)

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 08:39:09PM -0500, John Hiemenz wrote:

> Quoting from the ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/sct/fs/jfs/README file,
> reagding Journaling for ext2fs, release 0.0.7a:
>
> " If you use an older version of e2fsck from e2fsprogs-1.17 or later, then
> you can now run e2fsck quite happily on the filesystem, but *only as
> long as the filesystem was unmounted cleanly*.  If it wasn't, then
> you'll need to get the kernel code to recover the journal from the disk
> by mounting the filesystem (even a readonly mount will cause a journal
> recovery to happen) and umounting it again (or, for the root filesystem,
> remounting it readonly with "mount -o remount,ro /"). "
>
> This is exactly what I needed to do to get my system back.

Yes, but before that it explains:

How to fsck
-----------

As long as you are using a recent e2fsprogs, e2fsck should work just as
expected on both ext2 and ext3 filesystems.  The new e2fsck fully
understands the ext3 journal.

The recommended e2fsck is from sourceforge: look for
e2fsprogs-1.20.WIP.sct-20010216 in the same place where you got the
ext3 kernel patches.

> It had suffered
> from a hard power outage.  All my filesystems are ext3, including /.  I
> couldn't mount the filesystem normally because ext3 couldn't find the
> journal

Could you please explain this in more detail?  The loss of a journal
is pretty serious!  What did you try, and what error exactly was
returned?  The only things I can think of are that either you've
manually deleted the ".journal" journal file, or the old fsck has
been confused by the unrecognised journal inode and has deleted it for
you.

> and I couldn't fsck because the journal was missing.
> ... I am running
> Parallelizing fsck version 1.19 (13-Jul-2000) .

e2fsck-1.19 does not have the ability to recover a journal itself.
There's a reason why the README recommends a later e2fsprogs!  Please
upgrade to e2fsprogs-1.22 --- earlier ones have a couple of journal
recovery bugs in them.