Re: fsck journal replay times (was Re: Is this list active?)

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 09:37:42PM +0100, Steve Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 03:06:26PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>
> > One last point --- ext2 has a way of forcing a fsck every so often,
> > either when the number of mounts or the elapsed time since the last
> > fsck is exceeded.  I'm looking for comments about whether those
> > intervals ought to be set to zero (disabling the forced-fscks) for
> > ext3 or not.
>
> No, I don't see why they should be. AIUI (and I think someone explained here
> recently), the forced-fscks are only there to catch hardware problems,
> results of software bugs, etc. ext3 isn't any more resilient to this than
> ext2, is it?

Correct.  On the other hand, people have an expectation that ext3
doesn't need fsck, so for those needing fast reboots for server
availability, e2fsck's default behaviour will be unexpected.

As a developer, I certainly prefer to see the forced fscks as that
results in any problems being found sooner, but users may have
different priorities!