Re: A few quick questions regarding the journal.

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Sure.  Just clear the "has_journal" flag on the filesystem, and e2fsck
> will clear the journal out.  debugfs will let you clear the flag.

actually,

	tune2fs -O '^has_journal' /dev/foo

is simpler.

It needs to be performed on a read-only or unmounted
fs. After that, fsck will clean everything up.

I had a nasty situation a while back doing this on the root
filesystem.  Booted the kernel with the `init=/bin/sh' LILO
option, then ran tune2fs as above, then rebooted.  Then, ext3
refused to mount root because it didn't have the journal flag
and ext2 refused to mount root because of 'unsupported features'.
Stuck.

I'm not really sure how this happened but I'm fairly sure I can repeat
it.  The lesson is: when clearing `has_journal' on the root fs,
be sure to run e2fsck-1.22 in the same session and type `sync' a lot
before rebooting.