Re: kernel panic with ext3 and cbq

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:51:56AM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > You are right, I just applied that chunk and get the same
> > kernel panic. But, what will be the consequences if I
> > remove that chunk of the ext3 patch?
>
> This is really surprising.  cbq in 2.2.19 is mature code - I've
> used it myself with great success.

Perhaps, but there are tons of drivers I've seen which do things like

	list_for_each(p, list)
		kfree(p)

which has a window of only a few instructions between the call to
kfree() and the dereferencing of the ->next pointer.  The vast
majority of the time, the caller will get away with it.  But every so
often you'll get an interrupt which reallocates the memory during that
tiny window and your kernel will die.