Re: Converting Ext2 -> Ext3

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 08:27:44PM +0300, Nikolaos Kefalas wrote:
> I want only to  ask  ,  if it is necessary  to run tun2fs -J the kernel to have
> support for ext3 .
> I want to boot , from another  linux to convert my partions since the partition
> must not be
> mounted  but this does n't support ext3  :-(.
>
> Thank you

Hello,

if I understand you correctly you only have to run tune2fs -j /dev/hdXX to
convert an ext2 drive to ext3. You don't need to use the capital -J option
if you don't want to.

To have a kernel that understands ext3, you must apply a patch.
You can get a patch for ext3 kernels from:
http://www.uow.edu.au/~andrewm/linux/ext3/.

You can convert an ext2 drive to ext3 while it is mounted.

sorry if I've totally misunderstood you.