Re: ext3 tuning parameters. what are they

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:32:07PM -0700, Shawn Rappaport/PHX/OTI wrote:
>                                                  I have not seen any
> performance slowdowns, even under these conditions. Is it possible your
> servers are doing a lot of swapping to virtual memory?

FWIW, I'm also seeing what I'd consider pretty bad interactivity
running on ext3.  Whenever the kernel starts swapping, the cursor in X
will stop tracking, and applications will completely hang for seconds
at a time, rather than running slowly while being paged in.  top(1)
tends to show an unusual amount of CPU time in the kernel (unusual in
that I don't normally see anywhere near 55% system time, even when
swapping.)

ext2 works well under the same load.

--
Ed McKenzie