Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Matthias Andree wrote:

> So, what would help the common MTA?

Not relying on non-supported semantics to save your ass.

Rename() is atomic in the sense that you either see the
old name or the new name, but I don't know of systems
which guarantee atomicity across a system crash.

In fact, knowing how hard disks work mechanically, only
journaling filesystems could have an extention to make
this work.  Ie. this is NOT something you can rely on ;)

regards,

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com/