Re: ext3-2.4-0.9.4

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Alan Cox wrote:

> > The competition is there and it has names: BSD + ufs + softupdates,
> > Solaris + logging ufs. Read MTA mailing lists before obstructing.
>
> All of which are - not unsuprisingly - using a log. In fact
> Solaris logging ufs and ext3 are very similar ideas - adding a
> log to an existing fs.

Softupdates isn't using logging.  Furthermore, even
the journaling filesystems won't all guarantee that
the various parts of a rename() operation will all
be in the same transaction.

An MTA which relies on this is therefore Broken(tm).

cheers,

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com/